Brief History of Pikit
Fort Pikit, which is one of the remaining historical landmarks in Pikit, was established by the Spanish conquistadores as evidenced by the presence of the stone walled FORT, hence the place where it is located is called Fort Pikit, one of the 42 Barangays of this town. No recorded data, however, can be traced as to when it was established but it was believed to be constructed some time in the early 1800s when the Spanish expedition to subjugate the Moros of Mindanao was actively pursued by the Spanish government in Manila. Unfortunately, the Spaniards never succeeded in that campaign. When the Americans took over in the early 1900s, the same Fort was utilized in their supervision of the area as well as the nearby towns.
The only recorded event was when Pikit was established as an agricultural colony to implement the Osmeña Colony Act of 1912. Consequently, the first Christian settlers of Pikit were about sixty-five (65) families who came from Cebu on June 17, 1913, henceforth, this date has been remembered and celebrated as “Araw ng Colono”. Pikit was then a wilderness; settlers could only concentrate around the Fort and later moved to other places towards Paidu Pulangi following a homestead road.
The establishment of Pikit has opened a frontier and settlers from the island of Luzon and the Visayas and other adventurous Christians began to flock and established new homes in this place. Pikit, then became the stepping-stone of new frontiers which saw the opening of other settlements in Edcor, Alamada; Doroluman in Magpet; Suralah and Noralah in South Cotabato and in Townsite, Maganoy (now Shariff Aguak, Maguindanao).
The dominant inhabitants of the Pikit at the time were the Maguindanaons who composed the majority of the population, and the Manubos and the Iranons. The Maguindanaons lived in the lowlands and along the Rio Grande de Mindanao. The Manobos lived in the highlands and the Iranons were scattered further in the north of Pikit.
In the year 1924, the Christian settlers saw Pikit as a thriving community; hence there was a need to plan for its future. About seventy-two (72) hectares of the area in Manding were reserved for the town site.
When the road connecting Cotabato and Davao was opened in 1935, Pikit was created into two districts namely: Ladtingan District and Balatikan District. The two districts were separated by this road, thus, all areas south of this road belong to Ladtingan District and areas north of this road belong to Balatikan District.
In 1947 Mr. Gorgonio Initan was appointed District Mayor of Ladtingan District and Datu Tumindeg Sultan was appointed District Mayor of Balatikan District.
This was followed by several attempts by the political leaders for its creation as a regular municipality. However, with the creation of Pagalungan as a regular municipality in 1947 it lost its bid, instead it continued to be two major districts of Pagalungan. After a long struggle for its separation from Pagalungan through the efforts of the late Congressman Datu Gumbay Piang and then Governor Datu Duma Sinsuat, Pikit finally became a regular municipality on September 29, 1949.
Three years after Pikit became a regular municipality, Datu Tumindeg Sultan succeeded as Mayor of Pagalungan from 1952-1956.
The first appointed Municipal Mayor of Pikit was Rasam Afdal who served for four years from 1950 to 1954. For only two years of his administration, Pikit was reclassified from 5th to 3rd class municipality. In the year 1954, Doroteo Palencia was elected as Municipal Mayor who served for three (3) consecutive terms (1955-1964).
Then, in 1965, Datu Abdulkadil Matalam was elected as Municipal Mayor but unfortunately he was not able to finish his term because he died in a shooting incident in 1967. He was succeeded by his brother, Datu Udtog Matalam Jr. who served until 1971.
In 1972, Raymundo P. Flores was elected as the Municipal Mayor who served for six years until 1977. When he resigned, he was succeeded by his son Nicomedes Flores who served only from 1977 to 1979. He resigned as Municipal Mayor and ran for the Provincial Board during the election on January 30, 1980. Then for his unfinished term in 1980, Mrs. Milagros T. Custodio was designated as Officer-In-Charge of the Municipality. In the 1981 election, Mr. Joseas Dandan was elected as the Municipal Mayor who served until 1986.
In 1986-1987 Nicomedes Flores was again designated OIC Mayor. In 1988 Atty. Roberto B. Millendez was also designated OIC Mayor. During the election in the same year Ramon C. Ong was elected Mayor for a four-year term until 1992. Then, in the May 1992 election Datu Motin A. Malingco was elected as the Municipal Mayor who served for three consecutive terms until July 1, 2001. He was succeeded by his wife Farida Malingco who served until June 2004.
In the election in the same year, ex-Mayor Motin Malingco returned and got elected. Unfortunately, he was not able to complete his term because he died of a lingering disease on March 16, 2006. By operation of law, then Vice Mayor Datu Sumulong K. Sultan succeeded as Municipal Mayor who was later elected in the May 2007 election.
Pikit became a 1st class municipality in 1996. Presently, it has forty two (42) barangays namely: Bagoinged, Balabak, Balatican, Balong, Barungis, Batulawan, Bualan, Buliok, Bulod, Bulol, Calawag, Dalingaoen, Damalasak, Fort Pikit, Ginatilan, Gli-gli, Gokotan, Inug-ug, Kabasalan, Kalakacan, Katilacan, Kolambog, Ladtingan, Lagunde, langayen, Macabual, Macasendeg, Manaulanan, Nabundas, Nalapaan, Nunguan, Paidu Pulangi, Pamalian, Panicupan, Poblacion, Punol, Rajah Muda, Silik, Takepan, Talitay, and Tinutulan.
There were 62 barangays which were originally within the political jurisdiction of Pikit but only 42 were left after the Municipality of Aleosan was created on April 6, 1982.